Wednesday, April 30, 2008

humanism

Accidents have become so common these days and I have been having my square share of it at regular intervals. Almost one major hit every year is the current record. Now my latest accident turned out to open my eyes towards humanism.
It happened in late February this year. The morning was as pleasant as it would always be in Coimbatore and I set out to a campus interview. The venue was Kongunadu Arts and Science College, The very same place wher I studied a quarter century back. So it was something special to me. I wore my best. Everything went well till I neared my office. At Sungam junction, I was cruising alongside a Maruti Esteem. Suddenly a group of people attempted to cross the road. So I slowed down. Then on seeing the car, the group backed out and I revved up again. Then it happened, the accident. One old man in the group, in the haste to cross the road, ran accross in front of the Maruti and came directly in front of me. I was left with neither time nor the space to avert him. I hit him square and fell flat on the road with my bike coming on me. I couldn't just realize what happened. Somebody picked up my bike. Somebody picked up my belongings. A group led me limping to the tea shop nearby. I felt a severe pain in my shoulder and my ribs, couldn't bear to open my eyes. I could hear a voice ordering to bring me some water. The person asked me to drink some water and said I will be alright. He asked if he could call somebody to accompany me to the hospital. After a long pause, I drank some water and looked at the man in front of me. I was shocked. GOD ! both his hands were severed from elbow. I just couldn't pick myself up in the situation. The man who consoled and encouraged me was a handicapped beggar. In my shock I was dumb.
When help arrived, I made it to the hospital and had an X-ray. The next day I was Bound in a plaster and wore braces for a month. Doctors advised me not to drive for two months.
Now, I am on my feet. Back to my routines and everytime I cross Sungam junction, my eyes will involuntarily search for the handicapped MAN. You never realize what humanism means till you have the real taste of it. I had it. Now I thank God for the accident.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir, I think everyone should read this and understand the value of humanism, rather than waiting for an accident to happen, to understand..

GIYAPPAN said...

It is not waiting. Actually it dawns on somebody only through such incidents.

Unknown said...

But then do we have to wait for such incidents to learn some good things.. Why can't we try to learn from others?

GIYAPPAN said...

Some people learn a lesson from others' experiences. Some learn only when it happens to them. But there is a great majority who never learn whatever happens. God help them.